Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Nesting Begins...

I believe I have entered my “nesting” stage! Here lately I have been making MAJOR Honey-Do-Lists for Derrick. I have my own list, but his is much longer and involves much more manual labor. He has been painting, trimming trees, moving furniture and so on. We finally picked a color and have the nursery painted and the furniture assembled and arranged. I still have lots of work to do before Baby girl is here, but it makes me feel a little better knowing she at least has a crib with clean sheets to sleep in.

Katie told me that when I started “nesting” I would get a little crazy. Yep. She was right. I remember her saying, “You won’t understand why you feel like the inside of your hallway bathroom cabinets needs to be repainted. It’s not like your baby is going to look in there and judge you, but you will think it needs to be done anyway. It will need to be done immediately.” Oh, was she right. I got up at 5am this morning because I absolutely had to wash my couch cushions. It had to be done ight then. I woke up about 3am and managed to put it off till 5am, but that was as a late as I could wait. I also felt like all of the weeds needed to be removed from the entire yard. Our flower beds have been taken over by polk, dandelions, wild onions and some other strange looking plants that I have never seen before. Derrick thankfully took care of that for me over the last couple of days. One farmer’s tan and slight breakout of poison ivy later, he has successfully removed most of the weeds (but he assures me the remaining weeds will be gone by next weekend).

We did take a break today so that we could go by the Farmer’s market and get some fresh produce. We have an abundance of green beans, snow peas, peaches, zucchini, yellow squash, several types of tomatoes, corn, fresh baked bread, cheese, potatoes, peppers and onions. Derrick wanted grilled corn tonight so he worked on that while I cooked some zucchini cups. I found a picture on the internet and mixed up a couple of different recipes. We loved them! Very tasty, but best when hot.

Zucchini Cups

- Cut zucchini in thick slices (about an inch or so)
- Hollow zucchini almost all the way through making a cup
- Brush lightly with oil and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes
- Chop the remaining zucchini


- Heat 1 TBSP of butter in a small skillet
- Sauté remaining zucchini, 1 TBSP onion and 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 TBSP of mozzarella and 1 TBSP of fresh parmesan and 2 TBSP of fresh bread crumbs
- Stuff this mixture back into the zucchini cups and bake for 10 minutes
- Finally, top with sliced cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with parmesan cheese

Delicious!!!




After dinner I made peach milkshakes and now we are going to lie down on our freshly washed couch cushions and watch a movie!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly Jo!

    The food looks so yummy and healthy...just what you and your little girl need! I really want to go to a farmers market soon.

    I giggled to myself when you mentioned getting up in the middle of the night to wash your couch cushions...I bet you felt so tired later that day!

    Gemma X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Yeah, just you wait...in those final weeks before the baby arrives, it doesn't matter how much preparation you've done, you still feel like you have a list a mile long to do before bringing baby home. And who knows....if Baby Girl is anything like us, she will totally notice the baseboards...and whether there is dust on them or not. She may not mind...but, oh, she'll notice.

    Food looks yummy....like always. ;o)

    ReplyDelete