Saturday, April 10, 2010

Finishing Up Spring Break

Spring Break is almost over! For Derrick that is. He has to go back to work on Monday so he has been a busy bee trying to finish up some small projects around the house. Yesterday when I got home from work he had cleaned…seriously…cleaned. He bleached the kitchen and the bathrooms, swept the floors, did laundry and even dusted. I admit I was a little shocked when I walked in after work and my house was sparkly. The only real chore I have this weekend is mopping. YAY!!! So to say thank you I got up extra early and made one of our favorite breakfasts…sausage pillows. I am not sure if that is what they are called, but they are so fluffy they remind me of pillows. Here is how:

Cook your sausage. I just go ahead and chop it in the pan with a wooden spoon while it is cooking, but I supposed you could chop it afterwards. Either way, it should look like this…



Then add a ½ cup of shredded mild cheddar and one brick of cream cheese. This is definitely not a recipe for someone who doesn’t love cream cheese. It’s packed full of the wonderful stuff. You could cut it back to ½ a brick and it would still be delicious.

After you mix the sausage and the cheese, spoon the mixture into crescent rolls... Then roll them up just like you are making a crescent roll. Just close up the seams of the rolls around the sausage, but it isn’t a big deal if some of the sausage peaks out because the rolls will puff up and enclose most of it (two packages of rolls should be enough for one roll ofsausage). Then just bake them according to the crescent roll directions.



Here is the finished sausage pillow. And they warm up wonderfully – I have been snacking on them ALL DAY.


So after the most important meal of the day, Derrick started working on this beast…



Last year, this actually looked somewhat pretty. Not anymore. Firstly, you could actually see the swing. There were a few roses peaking out and the top had a little touch of honeysuckle. It smelled heavenly. Now it is completely overgrown, top heavy and I don’t even want to think about how many snakes call it “home”. After we get this all tore down I think we are going to plant some climbing roses here. But for now, I just feel the need for all of this to be cleared away.




Maggie is helping Derrick out with the clearing – or at least she is getting some of the brush out of his way and moving it to the other side of the yard.







With the exception of this momma rose stem….smart dog.




On another note, I realize we need to mow our yard. It is happening tomorrow. You know it’s bad when you can barely see your enormous dogs…




These were taken the other night while we were throwing sticks for the dogs. They could do this for hours…





This picture kind of makes me feel like I am watching the movie Jaws. Something about the size of that mouth…



And this just makes me laugh...



4 comments:

  1. That recipe looks yummy! Hope your husband is making the most of the holidays...they must fly by. Your dogs are very cute. Is the dark brown one a Labrador?

    Gemma X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sausage pillows! They remind me of the "ice storm" we prepared for last winter. Love the pics of the dogs. Charlie and his stick is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooooh....sausage pillows! I could eat some of those right about now. And by some, I mean a dozen. For pitty's sake, Kelly Jo, don't you know I'm trying to get in shape for Rachel's wedding?! Meanwhile, Mike just ran to the store to pick up AK some water-wellon (since I forgot it earlier at the store), and I added neopol. ice cream to the list...hehehehe! (What's that? Oh I know. Joke's on me...I'll be the fat one. Hush.)

    And...dang, Charles, get after it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - and how lucky are you that D cleaned the whole house for you. Lucky girl....

    ReplyDelete